What do they look like?
- These scars can be thin or thick, paler or darker than the surrounding skin and can be flat or thick, red and lumpy.
- They can be difficult to treat and can be on any area of the body.
How can this scar be improved?
- Scars like these which are red and thick can respond well to laser treatment to help them flatten and settle.
- Larger areas of scarring like this is often best treated with surgical scar revision – this can mean scar excision in smaller areas or artificial skin application and skin grafting (using skin borrowed from elsewhere on your body) for larger areas.
- If surgical scar revision is chosen then laser can help the new scar to settle more quickly.
- Scars like these will also significantly benefit from scar therapy in addition to surgery and/or laser.